Despite her total and complete victory on Friday, Nancy Pelosi told reporters she still isn’t sure she will allow Trump to deliver the State of the Regime next Tuesday.
Negotiations, then brinkmanship, then more negotiations, some more brinkmanship– then both sides agree to something along the lines of:
- $2.5-3.75 billion for border security (most of it going into the pockets of crony capitalist contractors).
- Republicans get their lobbyists $$$ for obsolete, overpriced military junk that the Pentagon doesn’t want or need.
- Democrats get their lobbyists $$$ for green solar scams that goes to investors flying around on private jets.
In exchange, lobbyists will kick back money into politicians’ reerection campaigns– and the cycle will continue unabated in perpetuity.
- (1) It will be tied up in court for months or years.
- (2) Land owners will sue.
- (3) Military will resist and/or slow walk it.
- (4) Conservatives will be reluctant to give that power to the next Democrat President.
In the end, they’re just going to end up reinforcing existing fence. Most of the money will go to crony capitalist contractors and already-absurd law enforcement benefits and pensions.
However, I would argue that “read my lips” had far less of an impact on the 1992 erection than Ross Perot’s presence (538’s anal-ysis claiming otherwise only measures the erection day results, not Perot’s effect over the course of an 18-month campaign).
Likewise, Trump’s defeat today only matters if it encourages John Kasich, Ben Sasse, or Mitt Romney to primary Trump.
For the record, MFP currently boasts an 89.1% accuracy rate.