Fmr. Team Reagan speechwriter Laura Ingraham and biographer Craig Shirley on the modern GOP’s anti-Reagan interventionist foreign policy:
LI: Republicans today who are itching to get us back into a military conflict in the Middle East– they cloak themselves in Reagan…they forget that Reagan pulled out of Lebanon after we had 242 [US servicemen killed].
CS: He didn’t really want to mess around in the Middle East. He never visited Israel.
For the record, Reagan:
- Never visited Israel, not once.
- Condemned Israel’s attack on Iraq’s nuclear reactor.
- Banned weapon sales to Israel.
- Laid a wreath at a German military cemetery where SS officers were buried.
- Reluctantly visited concentration camps, and only after Jewish protesters kept whining.
The present-day GOP’s fealty to Israel is a relatively new phenomenon that Barry Goldwater warned about in 1986.